Unable to start vsftpd server

I tried running vsftpd_v1 vsftpd_v1.conf as told. I got vsftpd_v1: command not found . So from [this](https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-unix-command-not-found-error-and-how-to-get-rid-of-it/ page, I thought it was a problem with $PATH so I added it to $PATH.

Now I got another error, 500 OOPS: vsftpd: must be started as root (see run_as_launching_user option) . So I searched again and found this.

Then according to the instructions, I used ps aux | grep vsftpd on the terminal to get crio-us+ 23670 0.0 0.0 14856 1112 pts/0 S+ 03:44 0:00 grep --color=auto vsftpd. But I am unable to kill the process. Or is it not even a process? I even tried logging in as root user and running vsftps_v1 vsftpd_v1.conf again. Then I got
Command 'vsftpd' not found, but can be installed with:

apt install vsftpd

Please provide some help on what to do as I am stuck

Hi @APratham
Looks like you are facing challenges in the current module.

Below is a link to all the FAQ’s for the current module

Below are a few similar topics raised by other users which you might find usefull

Note - This is a BETA Feature,if you find this helpful, kindly let us know.
Feedback link - https://forms.gle/cmxN5pdTXgnwgC986

Kindly mark this as a solution if this has helped you solve your query

Additional info:

Command: which vsftpd_v1
Output: /home/crio-user/workspace/QBox/vsftpd_v1

Command: which vsftp_v1.conf
Output: /home/crio-user/workspace/QBox/vsftpd_v1.conf

Hi @APratham

You need to use sudo while executing the vsftpd binary.
instead of added it to PATH var
execute using sudo ./vsftpd vsftpd.conf

I think you meant sudo ./vsftpd_v1 vsft_v1.conf. I am getting another error :neutral_face:
500 OOPS: cannot read config file: vsft_v1.conf

I will try to troubleshoot it for a while, then let you know if I need help

Think about the reasons why it can’t read it .

Do you have desired permission ?

ls -lsa

Try to find what can be done with permissions.

I just realised that $PATH doesn’t persist across VM sessions because it is an Amazon EC2. I will have to start over again

Hi @APratham
That’s very good observation.

Anything apart from workspace DIR doesn’t persist on machine.

Closing this topic as your issue is resolved by the mentor. If it is still not resolved, Kindly un-mark the accepted solution or create a new topic and post this question as a reference link in the description of the new topic.