Module 3 vsftpd install?

Do we need to install vsftpd?
In NOTE it is given that don’t install using apt-get . Do we need to install it using any other commands?

You need not install it, the file vsftpd_v1 is provided and that needs to be run.

How to run it?
I gave permissions for vsftpd_v1.

You need to run in sudo mode

Yeah I have done it . I am running with root. But the error : command not found arised.

if you want to execute a file from same directory use ./filename

yeah . I did it.
500 OOPS: could not bind listening IPv4 socket
This is the error now.

First kill the earlier process and then start the server again.

@svenkatsai1

points that there’s some other application(or most probably an instance of the same application opened previously but haven’t terminated yet - see Orphaned processes ) using the port you have assigned for the server. You can ascertain if that’s the case, using netstat command to check if there’s a listing for the port you want to use.

Now, what to do about it?

• Kill the process using the port - If you are sure that the killing the process occupying your port won’t be a disaster, you can use ps command to find the processes id and use it to kill the process

• For the purpose of testing the server, assign a different port for your server in vsftpd.conf and before submitting for assessment revert it to the required port.

Other vsftpd_v1 process is already running. Kill the other running process, first get the PID of the vsftpd_v1 process using ps command and then use kill -9 PID to kill the process.
Run vsftpd_v1 again.
@svenkatsai1