Error '500 OOPS: config file not owned by correct user, or not a file”. What does it mean?

You would have started the QBox process as root with sudo command. The process needs the config file to be owned by root as well. Use the chown to change the ownership of the config file to root.

How do I check ownership/group of a file?

Use ls -l to display file permissions and ownership.

I changed it and ran the server. and It just halted my cursor. Is that running or what? It is not clear what to do next?

1 Like

Check your process list to see if it is running.

How to check the process list? The cursor is halting in my case also.

Run ps -ef in another terminal.

1 Like

I ran the command, it gave me a list of processes. Where does it show that the server is running?

just look for vsftpd_v1 path in the output of ps -ef and kill the process if of that process using kill

1 Like

use grep for searching

@visargdesai why do we need to kill the process?

I used given both above command with pipes but where does it tell ip address and port number?

if someone tries to connect to QBox server again without closing the past connection it will create an error. killing the process is an option which will help if anything like that occurs

1 Like

but it’s asking password for sudo

Did you use netstat -an?

I changed the permissions using chown and it is showing me root in user and group permission as well (using ls -l) but when I am executing the vsftpd_v1 vsftpd_v1.conf, It is showing me the same error.
Any other issues that can cause “500 OOPS: config file not owned by correct user, or not a file” ?

1 Like

Are you executing using sudo?

If I only use vsftpd_v1 vsftpd_v1.conf then it is showing “500 OOPS: config file not owned by correct user, or not a file” even though i changed the permissions using chown
If I use sudo ./vsftpd_v1 then it is showing me sudo ./vsftpd_v1
“500 OOPS: could not bind listening IPv4 socket”

1 Like

Thanks, finally wokred.

hey i killed all the process that were running ,only few that were in LISTEN mode i couldn’t kill them . Now also it is not working. What did you do ?

Only kill the process which was using 8081 port.
Then try to execute the command again.